Hydrogen Production for Fuel Cells and Other Applications
Altek’s technologies for hydrogen production for fuel cells normally use two different methods, depending on the particular application required. Both methods are based on hydrogen production from a water source and assisted by aluminum as an active catalyst. An additional method, usually for special military applications, uses more expensive chemical borohydride.
1. Method of Hydrogen Production and Storage Based on Aluminum Assisted Water Split Technology.
(Suitable for portable applications)
The purpose of using the alkaline solution is to dissolve a thin protective layer of oxidation (that forms as soon as the metal is exposed to the air) and to provide the water access to a clean aluminum surface.
The basic exothermic chemical reaction:
2Al + 6H2O--» (Alkaline solution with proprietary additives)--» 2Al (OH)3+ 3H2↑
This chemical reaction yields 3.7 percent of the components weight.
In the reaction with oxygen inside the fuel cell power plant hydrogen generates water (as a fuel cell by-product). By recycling this water back into the hydrogen generator, we will increase the yield to over 7 percent of the components weight.
2. Method of Hydrogen Production and Storage by Aluminum Hydrolysis
(Suitable for transportation and stationary applications)
Altek’s unique high temperature technique allows the water steam to react with the industrial aluminum (no alloys) plates to form aluminum oxide Al2O3 in crystalline powdered form, which falls to the bottom of the chemical reactor container, leaving the reaction surface clear and active.
The basic exothermic chemical reaction of this method:
2Al + 3H2O--» ( Water steam 200-300oC) --»Al2O3 + 3H2 ↑
The flow rate of hydrogen production in this process is controlled and regulated by the amount of water steam supplied.
This chemical reaction yields 5.55 percent of the components weight.
As mentioned above, in the reaction with oxygen inside the fuel cell power plant hydrogen generates water (as a fuel cell by-product). By recycling this water back into the hydrogen generator, no additional water will be required for the following cycles of hydrogen production.In this case, once one initially fills the container with water, no additional water is required.
This technique will increase the yield up to 11.1 percent of the components weight.
3. Method of Hydrogen Production and Storage based on "hydrogen from borohydride source".
Weight Efficiency of hydrogen production 7-10%.
More expensive, for special applications (military or other which requires a high efficiency output).
MAJOR ALTEK ADVANTAGES:
- Technologies allow for an unlimited amount of hydrogen in accordance with the required power (longevity of the equipment is almost unlimited).
- The efficiency is extremely high.
- Generated hydrogen is pure and there is no requirement to pressurize or condense.
- Original fuel is non-flammable at ambient pressure and room temperature.
- The costs of catalyst, additives and original components are extremely low.
- Technology does not have any environmental or health side effects.
Aluminum hydroxide Al(OH)3, and aluminum oxide Al2O3, produced as byproducts, can be fully recycled into aluminum and can be reused for hydrogen production an unlimited number of times.